Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2017 07:12:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Thomas Steen Rasmussen <thomas@gibfest.dk>
Cc:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes to route(8) or routing between r325235 and r326782?

> On 12/12/2017 08:56 AM, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> > On 12.12.2017 09:31, Thomas Steen Rasmussen wrote:
> >
> >> After upgrading to r326782 I get the following error when trying to
> >> delete the lo0 entry (I have an rc.d script to do it):
> >>
> >> $ sudo route delete 185.96.180.10
> >> route: writing to routing socket: Address already in use
> >> delete host 185.96.180.10 fib 0: gateway uses the same route
> >> $
> >>
> >> What gives? What do I do now? :)
> > You should be using jail+vnet in first place that allows you to get desired behaviour
> > by assigning an interface to distinct jail. Take a look at jail(8) manual page
> > for vnet and vnet.interface parameters.
> >
> Hello,
>
> Thanks, I am aware of vnet and it's uses. I am looking for the reason
> why the current method doesn't work anymore. :)
> Switching 50+ jails over to vnet is not something you "just do", the
> rewriting of firewall rules alone will be quite a job.
>
> I am also pretty curious as to what people have been doing to solve this
> over the last many years while waiting for vimage to become stable? Have
> people just not been firewalling between jails?

The mistake is that the kernel is doing route decisions at all,
that is the domain of a daemon and should of never been put in
the kernel, for reasons exactly like this.

What I have done on all my systems is I comment out all the
loopback route code in the kernel and do the proper routing
with either OSPF or BGP.

find /sys/ | xargs grep maintain_loopback_route
mostly can be fixed in net/if.c.

This "routing policy" in the kernel just breaks things in so many ways.