Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:22:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> Freebsd is *not* a commercial company and there is no benefit to secrecy.
> Why does a "free" OS have secrets?

Because FreeBSD is not 'just' given away, and may be used in commercial
companies (such as mine), and we don't want *you* to know what we are
doing, but we want the FreeBSD core team to know what's what since it's
in our best interest to keep them informed of what's going on.

I'm not a core member, and what SRI is/was doing with FreeBSD is a
platform for running ibcs2 applications, which we decided to scrap late
last year and re-write, but the validity of it is still the same.

> I'm just getting tired of getting hit in the nuts for not supporting
> -current....the fact that the release is out of date a week after its
> out is a very bad thing and really needs to change...

That's complete and utter BS.  2.2 had a 8 week release cycle, so you
had two months from the time the start of BETA testing was announced
until the time it was released to get your product up-to-snuff.

Nate