Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:00:07 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Production Machine, Custom Kernel, Updating to P9

While humming that old rock song Yackety Yacc - Dont Awk Back
Lewis Watson sang or SED something like this:

> First, please direct me to a more suitable list if this is
> too OT. I am running a few FreeBSD machines in a small isp
> environment. I want to upgrade from release 4.7-p7 to release
> 4.7-p9 on a machine with a customized kernel that is *in
> production* and am hoping that those of you more experienced
> with FreeBSD can give me some advise to keep this machine
> solid.

> In my limited past I have went the route of install OS from cd;
> cvsup with RELENG_4_7 all the way to make installworld and then
> once the OS was updated I would customize my kernel. So now I
> want to update to 4.7-p9 and I have a customized kernel and am
> not sure what is the best way to proceed.

> I have read /usr/src/UPDATING and the handbook regarding
> rebuilding the kernel after syncing the src. It looks as if I
> have two paths. 1) Rebuild with my custom kernel or 2) rebuild
> with a generic kernel and then rebuild a custom kernel later.
> I would prefer to go with my custom kernel but am afraid that
> something may break; which in turns makes me want to go with
> GENERIC... but then.....

I start with a GENERIC and modify a copy for my own kernel name.
Then I copy the GENERIC to a name such as GENERIC-2003-03-01 - the
time of the last GENERIC.

Then when a cvs updates the GENERIC I run a diff on the new GENERIC
and my saved GENERIC to see if there are any differences that might
affect my system, and add only what I'd need.  I also do the same
with LINT.  I also backup that directory to another file system
that wont get changed.

This way you can always use your own custom kernel after noting
which changes have been made.

> I have googled this in various ways and found an article where
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC would stop with an error in
> his case. So before I hose my system I am hoping that the more
> experienced list members in the isp environment who understand
> my situation could share their past experiences...

If either you old config or the new GENERIC fails, then recvsup as
something is wrong.  I've had strange errors that a new cvsup has
cured about three or four times total - and that's over three +
years.

I've not had a problem doing this step by step, and then installing
the kernel and rebooting.  I have yet to have to drive to the colo
to fix a non-booting machine - but I do this about 2AM and the
facility is close by.  I'm just getting serial IP devices installed
so that I can recover from a system that won't come up running in
multi-user mode.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com