Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 16:53:15 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15822: Update port misc/HomeDaemon to V0.99

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 04:37:53PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> # > Mind if I make a few changes to the port and send them your way?
> # > I don't think it is a bad as is being let on.
> # >
> # > -steve
> #
> # Be my guest.
>
> Here you go.  Might not be perfect and the pkg/MESSAGE file needs
> real verbage but this is about the least intrusive I can make the
> port on your software.  The patch was so that the Makefile honored
> CFLAGS.  BTW, what did the '-s' flag to cc(1) do?  Never seen it
> used before and didn't see it in the manpage.
>
> -steve

I'll take a look at this later this evening; at first blush it looks
reasonable.

The only issue I'd have at first glance is that I have install targets in
the real package Makefile that already do the installation, so putting it
here is redundant (and breaks installing from a NON-PORT environment,
which I dislike as some people are on Linux!)  I'd have to look at
interactions between the defined prefixes and those scripts - my
intent is to have a package that works either stand-alone or as a
port.

There's also a basic problem in that moving the package out of /usr/local
to an arbitrary place will break an *INTERNAL* execute call - the
HomeDaemon-events program calls -parse internally as a piped command
and it along with a few other things have #DEFINEd constants in defs.h
for where their config files and working directories are.

As such you have to be *very* careful about arbitrary movements of
files.  That's the primary reason I left the install locations hard-coded
in the Makefile-called install targets.  I suppose I could do definitions
of undefined targets in the package Makefile itself and pass that through
CFLAGS; that would be an acceptable means of getting around this.

The "-s" is "strip" - it strips the symbols from the output of "cc".
It typically does nothing (but also no harm) for a compile, but is
effective on the link phase.

The bottom line is that it saves a "strip" on the installation phase to get
minimum-size installed binaries.

Let me do a bit more hacking on this and get back to you - do you want a new
"shar" when I'm done or do you want diffs?

The new shar is likely to be smaller.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!