Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 16:39:33 +0200
From:      The Mad Maniac <TMM@infothuis.nl>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't install due to cdrom player used for install

Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> I've had similar problems with almost every SCSI CDROM install I've ever done.
> >From my experience, it appears that almost every SCSI CD ROM will bomb itself
> out when you use the default configurations on the 2940UW, which in turn seems
> to cause the bus to reset, which hoses up (or at least slows down) all the
> other devices on the chain.
>
> The 'fix' I've found is to go in to the Adaptec BIOS (usually CTRL-A on boot),
> and crank down the settings for the affected SCSI devices. Turn off wide
> negotiation, sync negotiation, and the ability to disconnect, and then crank
> the SYNC speed down as low as it will go on all of your CDROM devices.
>
> This will _usually_ give you a working configuration, although in my last
> round of installs on a Pentium II, I also had to drop the sync speeds from
> 20MB/s to 16MB/s on my UW drives, because it was still causing the SCSI bus
> to reset frequently.
>
> Anyhow, once you've got your system running at a 'minimal speed', you can
> experiment with ramping up some of the other settings (such as disconnect and
> SYNC negotiation) until you get the fastest, stable drive configuration you
> can. I've yet to see a SCSI CD rom that survives Ultrawide negotiation being
> turned on.
>
> And this isn't just a 'FreeBSD' problem. I've locked up Win 95, NT, and DOS
> so many times due to the SCSI bus going out to lunch that I almost returned
> five machines before I realized what it was. Luckily, the Yamaha CD-RW drive

Hm.. i must say that under DOS/wind95/NT i never ever had any troubles
with this,
neither under OS/2 (yes i try out alot :)
It's only FreeBSD that can't seem to use it correctly. But i will try as
you
suggested and hope that will fix it temporarily at least, and if not, i
just have
to put in an ide drive lying around somewhere.

It's a very old cdrom player, and
does everything it is supposed to do, even keeps my cd's in one piece.
What i
find frusty is that i took this cdrom to be rid of ide/scsi probs :)

> You think they'd have figured out how to fix that by now :)
>         -Brian

thanks!

 Floris