Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 2021 10:08:35 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pinentry

--MgjM34kIT2sBoAVC

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 11:00:46AM -0700, @lbutlr wrote:
> I ma trying to figure out why pin entry and pinetnry-tty are installed. I=
f I try to remove it, I get a list of post that are to be deleted.
>=20
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>         gnupg: 2.2.27
>         gpgme: 1.15.1
>         mimedefang: 2.83_3
>         mutt: 2.0.4
>         pinentry: 1.1.0_7
>         pinentry-tty: 1.1.0
>         spamass-milter: 0.4.0_4
>         spamassassin: 3.4.4
>         subversion: 1.14.0
>=20
> I've looked through he config for all of these and not seen anything abou=
t PIN entry, and am wondering why it would be required to run any of these =
packages.

pinentry is (also) used to enter (e,g,) passphrases (as would be used by
gnupg).

> I cannot imagine any circumstances in which I would need to enter a PIN o=
n a TTY and no one else could possibly do so.
>=20
> I suspect mutt since it is relatively newly installed, nut I see nothing =
in the config that seems like it wold disable this. (Mutt is used as a conv=
enient way to send html formatted mail of some system events), it is not us=
ed to access mail off the server and is only used by me to access mail on t=
he server.

You may well need but a subset of the default options in that case.

Peace,
david
--=20
David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
Some "Republicans" seem bound and determined to turn the party known for
touting "law and order"	into one that supports mob rule and insurrection.

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.

--MgjM34kIT2sBoAVC

--MgjM34kIT2sBoAVC--