Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 22:36:50 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My first SMP kernel...

As Peter Wemm wrote:

> > The numbers on the bottom lid end up in SSS.
>
> SSS chips are theoretically the "best you can get".. ie: they don't need
> voltage twiddles etc to get them to work.

Yes, i also thought so.

> What do you get on the dmesg output when booting a non-smp kernel?

I have to look, but as i wrote earlier, it will probably take some
time until this board will boot a freebsd disk for the next time.

> npx0: INT 16 interface
> npx0: Pentium floating point divide (fdiv) flaw present!

No, i haven't seen the latter.  I didn't even know this message
exists. :)  Last time i've been working with such a flawed P90, this
was at my previous employer under FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 (which is still
working there).

> I seem to recall dire warnings about mixing different stepping/S number
> chips from the early runs.. I believe the apic timing etc was tweaked a
> bit early on, but they now seem to have it sorted out..  But if one of the
> chips is old, you might be in for fun.

No, both my CPUs were rather recent.  And, i ran into those troubles
even with only one CPU (but the SMP kernel).

The machine suffered from some SCSI bus mistermination earlier.  Maybe
it was just this, and some broken byte sneaked into some C or object
file.  I think i'll redo the experiment some day again.

--
cheers, J"org