Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 00:58:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Dan Strick <dan@math.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI3 cables

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Dan Strick wrote:

> The "high quality" SCSI cables sold by Granite Digital and other
> companies seem rather pricey.  I think they are taking excessive
> advantage of a SCSI FUD factor resulting from SCSI errors caused
> by end-user ignorance and cable vendor behavior verging on
> outright fraud.  For example, many end-users think nothing about
...etc

I tend to agree.  Although the very expensive cables usually ARE good
cables, you don't necessarily need to spend a fortune.  Personally, I like
to keep some good 50 and 68 pin cable on hand and a couple packages of IDC
connectors.  That way I can whip up a cable for how ever many drives, with
whatever spacing I require.  Of course, it isn't quite as simple for
external cables.  :)  Luckily most of the time I'm linking in chains of
hard disks, or CD-ROMS.

Now if I could just figure out why the 5 CD-ROMS on an NCR 810 controller
(ASUS SC-200) go WILD when they are probed, but the SCSI tape drive works
fine (6th device) since I changed motherboards from a Gigabyte 486 board
to an ASUS TX97-E...  They worked before, but go NUTS now.  I had to
disconnect them all before they self destructed.  :)

SCSI CAN be fun sometimes.  :)

Later......						<Doug>