Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:03:14 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 3.x to 4.2-Stable - via another machine...

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 05:01:01PM +0000, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know there are issues when moving an older 3.x system over to 4.2-STABLE (or
> newer) - generally from what I've read, I need to move the 3.x box, up to
> 4.0-RELEASE, then onto say 4.2-STABLE...

I am not sure if this is what you are saying, but the easiest thing to
do is do a binary install. To 4.x-RELEASE and then go to
-STABLE. Doesn't particularly matter which 4.x-RELEASE.

> Can I 'get round' this, by using an existing box - building 4.2-STABLE on it,
> and then tar'ing up /usr/src and /usr/obj, moving them to the 3.X box,
> un-tarring - and then doing a usual 'make installworld' etc. ?

No, that does not get around the catches. The problems, if there will
be any, tend to arise during the installworld and the steps after.