Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:02:07 -0500
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: preferred jail management tool

--gkvxhhmfBeUGtd4GCeIJaQAFNULB6cqPp

On 2015-01-27 12:17, Dirk Engling wrote:
> On 27.01.15 14:41, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>=20
>> I hope the ezjail author takes this thread as incentive to keep his
>> utility up to date and not let it die due to changing software in Free=
bsd
>> base code. All I am doing is pointing out the facts here.
>=20
> I am reading the thread. And I have been following the discussion for a=

> long time.
>=20
> I have been served the jail.conf file format and offered my help
> improving the jail(8) tool to allow for manipulation of the jail.conf,
> because ezjail as a shell tool can not parse the format and keeping a
> shadow config with potentially conflicting information is not a stable
> way to maintain ones config
>=20
> A short summary is here:
>=20
> https://elektropost.org/ezjail/msg00149.html
>=20
> I also heard rumors that the jail.conf format is an intermediate format=

> only, and/or there's gonna be a library to parse and manipulate all kin=
> of structured config in FreeBSD.
>=20
> So I'd be very interested in keeping up with the base system's
> development, but regarding jail configs it looks like I'm stuck with th=
> "use your vi to configure your jails" approach for 3 years now.
>=20
> Is there anyone feeling responsible for the jail(8) tool at the moment
> willing to accept patches and discuss development?
>=20
>   erdgeist

>=20

Jail.conf is one of the targets for my command line tool to interface
with libUCL (the library for parsing and manipulating structured
configs, already used by pkg). The jail.conf format will likely need to
be tweaked a bit to make it compatible.

My main reason for wanting to do this, is that the current jail.conf can
not easily be programmatically edited by tools like puppet. That is why
I use ezjail, in addition to its existing interface, its rc.conf style
means I can edit an ezjail config with the sysrc tool included in base.

ezjail would not lose its value even if the base jail tools were very
easy to use. EZJail has features, like the 'basejail', that the base
tool is never going to have. Not everyone needs that feature, but I like =
it.

EZJail is not going away.

--=20
Allan Jude