Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:23:10 -0500
From:      Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
To:        Manfredi Blasucci <sonoro@inet.it>
Cc:        "Rashid N. Achilov" <achilov@granch.ru>, Erick Mechler <emechler@sendmail.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deny incoming icmp

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a single rule be faster?

   /sbin/ipfw add pass icmp from ${oip} to any icmptypes 0,3,4,8,11,12  # outward
   /sbin/ipfw add pass icmp from any to ${oip} icmptypes 0,3,4,11,12   # inward

( icmp type 4 is source quench)
and you may not want to log every ping, but know what isn't getting in

    /sbin/ipfw add deny log icmp from any to any

> Try with those:
>
> ${fwcmd} add allow log icmp from any to $ip via $eth out
> ${fwcmd} add allow log icmp from any to $ip via $eth in icmp 0 <- Echo Reply
> ${fwcmd} add allow log icmp from any to $ip via $eth in icmp 3 <- Destination Unreachable
> ${fwcmd} add allow log icmp from any to $ip via $eth in icmp 8 <- Echo
> ${fwcmd} add allow log icmp from any to $ip via $eth in icmp 11 <- Time Exceded
> ${fwcmd} add allow log icmp from any to $ip via $eth in icmp 12 <- Parameter Problem
>
> See also http://www.sys-security.com/archive/papers/ICMP_Scanning.pdf.
>
> Bye,
> Manf

Richard Martin       dmartin@origen.com

OriGen, inc.         Tel: +1 512 474 7278
2525 Hartford Rd.    Fax: +1 512 708 8522
Austin, TX 78703     http://www.origen.com