Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:20:46 -0800
From:      The Mad Scientist <madscientist@thegrid.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracing Spoofed Packets

At 08:08 PM 11/16/99 -0800, you wrote:
>> I doubt it, but is there ANY way to trace spoofed packets coming in from
>> the Internet?  I've been getting these packets showing up at my boarder
>> router pretty regularly for the past few days now:
>
>First step is to complain to your peering ISP on this boarder router,
>they should be dropping all RFC1918 src or dst addressed packets at
>their boarder.  They probably have an internal leak, or one of their
>customers does.

I'll give that a try.  I'm just a Pac Bell dsl customer so I'm not
expecting too much from them.

>The only way of tracking these down is getting good cooperation from the
>technical people you are connected to on this link and having them search
>their boarders for the source, then instituting correct AS policy and
>dropping these things like they already should be.
>
>Many people have long used a poor filter list for this, simply filtering
>for dst only, current best practice is to filter on either src or dst
>being in RFC1918 space (and a few others too, like unless you support
>mcast peering with your adjacent AS's you should drop src or dst 224/12
>as well, and don't forget to filter 127/8, etc, etc... :-)

All taken care of at the boarder.  :-) Even filtering for dest only, this
one should have been dropped (dest was 10.0.1.2)....  I'm not running any
routing protocols, so I have no idea how my isp's router got the idea that
it should send me packets for 10.0.1.2.