Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 19:14:59 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "RMIRON.US.ORACLE.COM" <RMIRON@us.oracle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using a floppy

"RMIRON.US.ORACLE.COM" writes:
> Greetings,
>
> I am running FreeBSD on a pentium platform.  The hardware contains a floppy
> device.  When I try to use the floppy I can format a disk, but I cannot
> mount
> the floppy.  The command that I use is: mount /dev/fd0 /floppy.  I get the
> error message "Incorrect Super Block".  I check the etc/fstab file and it
> does
> not show anything for /floppy.  There were no super block errors during
> installation and I have checked the compatibility of the hardware.
>
> Does the mount command require any options or am I just missing the point
> altogether?

Almost missing the point.

fdformat(1) only does a low level format. The floppy would be good for
writing tar achives to. Or you could use newfs(8) to write a new UFS
filesystem. Yet we're talking about floppies here, so "mkdosfs(1)" is
probably the most appropriate.

Then because its not much use to try running something off a floppy,
and because mounting is a minor hassle, the mtools port in
/usr/ports/emulators/mtools is much handier. Simply use mcopy(1),
mdir(1), mcd(1), etc, to access the DOS floppy without mounting.

There are/were other tools for dealing with Mac floppies.