Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:45:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      John D Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why aren't the ptys in /etc/ttys secure by default?

ptys are used for both Xterms and telnet sessions. If we were able to
log in as root from abroad, then there would be very little way of
figuring out who has been cracking the system.

Marking the ptys insecure requires that a cracker use a valid user login
name, and helps us find the initial security flaw. Sometimes a user
willingly gives out his own login name and password to a foreigner, and
that person hacks out the system from within. If he had to do an SU, we
could talk to the user who allowed this to happen, and change that
password. (and root, and probably every password anyway)

I recommend that you keep those ttyps marked insecure.

-John

jddst19+@pitt.edu   John Duncan
		    Freshman, University of Pittsburgh

"I'm not a doctor, but I ate one at the UPMC..."