Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 10:16:43 +1000
From:      Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/powerpc work to date

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 04:15:12PM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2001, Benno Rice wrote:
>=20
> > Please feel free to review, comment, etc.
> >
> > The snapshot is in the form of a diff against -CURRENT and a tar.gz file
> > containing new files that would need to be committed.  Both of these
> > files are rooted in src/sys.
>=20
> Nice! Reading through the changes, I have a couple of comments. In
> mp_machdep.c, you should remove the 'include <machine/rpb.h>' - that is
> only ever likely to exist on alpha. You can alsp delete ipl.h since that
> has been removed for the other arches.

Ah.  I started with the code from NetBSD and pulled bits from around the tr=
ee
to fill gaps, so there's some weirdness in there. =3D)
=20
> In swtch.s, you are correct in thinking that Idle is unneeded. A generic
> assembler question - why the use of _C_LABEL(xx)? Surely since we are only
> ever going to be using ELF here, we can assume the format of C names? Its
> difficult to see what is happening since I'm not familiar with powerpc
> assembler but it appears that you are saving the process state on the
> stack (using a 'struct switchframe'). The other architectures save this
> information in the PCB - I'm not sure which is the best place.

This is probably NetBSD code.  Since I haven't got that far yet, it's pretty
much unchanged except that I separated their locore.s into smaller files as
per the other FreeBSD ports.
=20
> I notice that pmap.c contains a mix of programming styles with some of the
> code using ANSI and some K&R. The trend seems to be to move to ANSI for
> all new code so its probably worth converting the rest of the file.

Yeah.  I'll be doing that.
=20
> How far does the beast get when booting?

There's still an issue somewhere in the pmap code in that as soon as I flush
the TLB it starts having problems.  If I leave the TLB alone though it mana=
ges
to crawl it's way to vm_mem_init and vm_page_startup before falling over.

--=20
Benno Rice
benno@FreeBSD.org

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw