Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2020 15:43:59 +0200
From:      Julien Cigar <julien@perdition.city>
To:        =?utf-8?B?SsOBS8OTIEFuZHLDoXM=?= <jako.andras@eik.bme.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnet jails on VLAN subinterfaces

On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 01:38:32PM +0200, JÁKÓ András wrote:
>  Hello everyone,

Hello,

> I've already asked this on forums.freebsd.org, but didn't get an answer
> yet. I hope someone can answer it here.
>
> I'd like to use 802.1Q tagged VLANs on an Ethernet interface, one VLAN
> per jail. I assigned VLAN subinterfaces to the jail's network stacks:
>
> em0 - em0.99 (host)
> em0 - em0.100 (jail0)
> em0 - em0.101 (jail1)
>
> Here em0 and em0.99 belong to the base system while em0.10[01] belong to
> the jails' network stacks.
>
> This works perfectly so far. But I didn't see this setup mentioned
> anywhere, that's why I'm curious whether this a "valid" setup, do I use
> vnet correctly? Or does it only work by accident?

In your case it's OK, but as VLAN ids are unique per interface you need
x different physical interfaces if x jails (VNET) need to be in the same
VLAN (and use the same interface).

Best option is to use SR-IOV (if your interface support it) to have
multiple virtual NIC, or use bridge + epair (which has an huge
performance impact due to locking issue in if_bridge, although this is
fixed in -CURRENT by @kp)