Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 1999 08:45:19 +1000
From:      dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jneumann@guessrudd.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD PPP

Hi Jason

> re: The timeout issue - Congratulations!
> The # sign and trailing text on the timeout line must have caused the
> line to be ignored and a default of 15 minutes to occur. As far as I
> know using the -ddial option does not prevent a timeout from occurring,
> it causes an instant redial to occur when the link is dropped (by
> timeout or other causes).

well I really don't know much about the theory, but as I recall it was Brian who told me using "ppp -ddial<ISP>" would force ppp to ignore timeout settings .... certainly seems to have do so here anyway as its been connected for nearly a week continuously with no sign of dropping the link .... not a mention of any re-connection in ppp.log either !!!

> re: Firewalls
> The site I have listed below has several examples of firewalls and
> explanations of what the firewall rules are doing. I used Example1 as a
> model to build my firewalls. I had to modify and add rules to satisfy my
> needs but all the basics can be found there.  You need to understand
> some basic tcp/ip concepts such ip addresses and port numbers. You can
> use the O'Reilly book  Building Internet Firewalls if you feel the need
> to get into heavy stuff such parameter lans and bastion hosts.

Thanks for the URL Jason ... I'll have a look around there. I don't think I need anything too fancy at this point ....hopefully there's something basic I can comprehend that will keep some of the brain dead vandals out

> Some really simple things you can do to protect yourself are disable
> unused services in /etc/inted.conf or wrap them with tcp wrappers by
> editing the /etc/hosts.allow text file (FBSD-3.2 or higher).

Ahhhh .... now just how do I get to know what are "unused services" .... just a matter of "suck it and see" ?? Is there a "newbie-friendly" explanation of what this stuff does or are the comments sufficiently comprehensible  ??