Date:      Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:20:23 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubleshooting FreeBSD

On 11/4/22 11:23, Joe B wrote:
> O Fri, Nov 04, 2022 at 07:46:49PM +0300, Gökşin Akdeniz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> 4.11.2022 19:23 tarihinde Joe B yazdı:
>>>
>>> I had an issue arise yesterday that caused a kernel panic and I was looking on the forums the internet everywhere. I hang out on IRC but they are not around most of the time when I'm awake. Just subscribed to the mailing list.
>>>
>>> Question is where can I go when everyone is not around for help? This is a personal laptop but it's my only production machine.
>>>

>> Mailing lists are the place for asking questions, asking help and
>> troubleshooting, especially questions@freebsd.org.
>>
>> Feel free to ask for help.
>>
>> By the way, what is the kernel panic output?
>
> Thanks for the reply
>
> I was told that the kernel panic was from freeBSD loading lots of modules. when i installed freeBSD i installe
> d drm-kmod with pkg install drm-kmod and it loaded all the video drivers. I then did pkg remove drm-kmod and b
> uilt the port but it did it really fast like it didn't install it or something. Rebooted and it kernel panicke
> d even more. Wish i had the error, Next time i will,
>
> I'm also new to mutt so bare with me this is my first sent email. Got
> mutt just for this mailing list

I have found that the FOSS hobby is like the collector car hobby -- you
need two; one to drive and one to wrench on.

If you only have one laptop, I suggest that you reinstall the factory
operating system and software, refrain from making system changes, and
install as little third party software as possible.  The idea is to
maximize simplicity and reliability.  Then, install virtualization
software and create virtual machines for your FOSS enjoyment.  That way,
you can learn, use, and experiment with FOSS without becoming stranded.

David