Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:27:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Phil Gilley <pgilley@metronet.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video Card Q

Michael Smith wrote:

> Brian N. Handy stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I'm trying to put together a new zoomy P6-based system, and I want a good
> > video card...and I'm at a loss for what's better than what.  Since I want
> > 24-bit color I'll probably be running the XiG server, so absolute solid
> > XFree86 drivers aren't necessarily of great importance...
> >
> > Any advice on what a good card would be?  Right now I'm trying to decide
> > between the #9FX 772 and the #9FX 771 cards.  The obvious difference seems
> > to be one supports "interlaced" and the other supports "sync on green".
> > One uses the S3 Virge/VX chip and the other...S3 Vision968.
>
> I haven't actually used the 772, but the 771 is our favoured high-end
> card; we have successfully sold several systems to customers that were
> looking at SGI's based on these cards' performance at 24bpp.  (Price was
> also a contributing factor, I must say 8)
>
> If you do buy one, make sure you get one with 4M, as the cards are not
> upgradeable.
>
> > Any good advice out there?
>
> Hmm, the Virge is a newer part, so it may well be faster.  Can you perhaps
> talk your dealer into one of each for a comparison test?

I have several dozen 771 cards running on FreeBSD PCs.  I wasn't too
happy when my dealer told me they had been discontinued and replaced
by the 772.  I tried a 772 but couldn't get it to work consistently
with the S3V server.  It would lock up the machine about 1 out of
every 3 times you started X.  I didn't mess around with it much after
I noticed the comment that the S3V server was "pretty new, and not
everything might work like you expect it to."  I just swapped cards
with a Windows95 box that had a 771.  Hopefully someone will tell
me I'm wrong and it does work.  On the bright side, since the 771
has been discontinued I've been able to pick a few up at Best Buy
for $169.

Phil Gilley
pgilley@metronet.com