Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:47:30 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, ofehr@access.ch, rv@groa.uct.ac.za, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP on Intel MG15

Hi,

> BTW, I just updated the majordomo 'info' file for this list:

It would be helpful if the smp mailing list were added to the FreeBSD
mail-list search page.

> As always, remember this is ALPHA-grade software.  Expect it to crash
> and burn every so often.  It doesn't yet work on all MPSPEC compliant
> hardware.  It's only "known" to work on older ASUS PCI/E P54NP4
> dual-pentium motherboard.  Others have reported success on other hardware,
> but nobody has a complete list.

So lets start a list.  I have been running it for several weeks on
a gigabyte GA586DX512, which is a dual 75/200mHz ATX formfactor board.
I am using it with 2 P5 133mHz parts, type SU022.

Problems that I have noticed:

 1: must disable 2nd CPU b4 'halt'ing or disks never sync.

 2: SIGFPE sometimes wedges the system.

 3: some things take significantly LONGER to run.  make world takes about
     45 minutes longer for me to do with the second CPU enabled.

 4: the 'time' command can't be trusted, sometinmes I see times that
     are completely wrong.

On the other hand it seems quite stable (other than the above problems)
and stays up for me till halted.  It runs X11, has done many 'make world's
without complaint, and does the network thing just fine.  I've offered
before, and offer again, if there's anything I can do to help with
development please let me know!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD