Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:10:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using punch_fw from natd

I have two firewalls, protecting our two office networks. The firewalls are
simply ipfw rules, without using NAT (and natd). The only remaining "big hole"
I have is, that I need to open TCP ports above 1024 for incoming active FTP
requests. I'd like to close this remaining hole and noticed the punch_fw
option to natd, which does what I want - the problem is, that it is built into
natd and works only on packets that are aliased by natd. But I don't want to
do network address translation, I just need a daemon that will open incoming
TCP ports for active FTP connections. Does anybody have a solution? Maybe a
way to convince natd to do the port-punching without aliasing packets?

Blaz Zupan,  Medinet d.o.o, Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
E-mail: blaz@amis.net, Tel: +386-2-320-6320, Fax: +386-2-320-6325