Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2015 15:18:42 -0400
From:      Alex Aminoff <aminoff@nber.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   after pkg 1.5.1 pkg upgrade seg faults

We are running FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE. pkg likes to upgrade itself before
doing anything else, so I went ahead and accepted the self-upgrade to
pkg 1.5.1. Unfortunately, now pkg upgrade seg faults.

  # pkg check -r
Checking all packages:  16%

Checking all packages: 100%
  # pkg update -f
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.txz: 100%    944 B   0.9kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    5 MiB   1.3MB/s    00:04
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 23839 packages processed.
  # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking for upgrades (352 candidates):  25%
p5-libapreq2 has no direct installation candidates, change it to
p5-libapreq2? [Y/n]:
Checking for upgrades (352 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (352 candidates): 100%

openssl-1.0.1_16 is locked and may not be modified
Child process pid=4705 terminated abnormally: Segmentation fault

I can still do pkg upgrade on individual packages, its just the overall
pkg upgrade that segfaults.

I have googled and found some references to segfaults in pkg, but they
all seem to be referring to older versions. I hope this is a known thing
that there is a simple fix for; I think it is unlikely that we are the
first to discover a problem.

There does appear to be a pkg.core file in /var/db/pkg.

Thanks for any suggestions,
  - Alex Aminoff
    National Bureau of Economic Research