Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 23:01:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Duane Wessels <wessels@nlanr.net>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG, kostas@nlanr.net
Subject:   Re: URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Duane Wessels wrote:

> >are some others.  Do you have a canned script that has a
> >relatively simple framework for handling these sorts of
> >exceptions?
>
> I do now.  It makes the script a bit more complex, but not too much
> I hope.

That looks like it will work.  There are a couple other special
cases but I think the mechanism will handle them easily.

> Interestingly, the your mirrors list brings out a small problem.  Some
> of the entries end with 'index.html' or 'freebsd.html'.  This simple
> script assumes that you can do straight mappings and substring
> replacements.

Not a problem, actually, because the URL in the mirror list on
the home page may actually connect to a customized/localized home
page and the real mirrored pages are off of that somewhere with
the same names as on the mother site.  It will just take a small
bit of research to construct the truly correct mirror URL list,
for the purposes of urn mapping.

I'll see if I can get it set up in the next day or two.

-john