Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:32:18 -0500
From:      Evan Tsoukalas <evan@falcon.sourcee.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCcard laptop problem

Hello,

I have a Compaq Presario 1675, a Linksys PCMPC100 EtherFast pccard, and a
Megahertz 3CXM556 pccard.  The laptop only has one pcmcia slot (this slot will
support Type III memory cards).  The generic pccard support in the 3.1-release
kernel searches for and finds two slots.  Also, it probes the card slots twice
and hangs on the second probe.  The machine hangs with or without the pccard
inserted.  Listed below is what I see on the screen when it hangs:

npx0: INT 16 interface
PC-Card VLSI 82C146 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
pcic: controller irq 3
Initializing PC-card drivers: ed
changing root device to wd0s2a
swapon: adding /dev/wd0s2b as swap device
Automatic reboot in progress...
/dev/rwd0s2a: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
*the next six lines are more of the above*
/dev/rwd0s2e: clean, 146376 free (24 frags, 18294 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
PC-Card VLSI 82C146 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
pcic: controller irq 5

I have checked to see if something else is using irq 5.  Nothing is.

I have tried commenting the 'device pcic1 at card?' line out of the kernel and
then recompiling, and changing the line to 'device pcic1 at card? disable.
No success on either attempt.

I tried to use the zp driver.  That was a disaster.

I commented out the kldload statements in /etc/rc.pccard.  That allowed the
machine to boot, however, it lead to more problems.
	1) If I boot without the pccard inserted and then insert it, nothing
	   happens.  If I run 'pccardc dumpcis', the only thing that gets
   	   returned is '2 slots found' (even though I only have one slot that I
	   can put a pccard into!).
	2) If I boot with the pccard inserted and then run 'pccardc dumpcis', I
	   get the following:

	Read return -1 bytes (expected 2)
	pccardc: CIS code read: Cannot allocate memory
	Read return -1 byes (expected 10)
	Configuration data for card in slot 0
	2 slots found

After that, extremely frustrated, I tried to manually load the kld stuff and I
crashed the laptop so bad that I destroyed the /var directory beyond repair.
Chalking that up to my lack of knowledge of kld (I obviously had done something
that I was not supposed to do), I tried to use the PAO kernel.  The PAO kernel
hung up while probing for pccards.

Has anyone ever seen any of this before?  Is there anyone who has gotten a
similar model Compaq to work?  Basically, I am left with one of four things
left to face:
	1) This Compaq, because of proprietary hardware, will never run.
	2) This Compaq is already supported, but I just don't know enough to
    	   make it work.
	3) This Compaq is not currently supported, but there is someone who
	   can make it work and is willing to do so.
	4) I need to purchase a 3Com 3c589 pccard and use the zp driver.

If anyone has any suggestions on which one of those four is my best bet, I would
be grateful.  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,

Evan Tsoukalas
Systems Administrator