Date:      Sun, 25 May 2003 09:49:31 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        jhuvinen@cc.hut.fi
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating ports

On Sun, 25 May 2003 Jukka Huvinen <jhuvinen@cc.hut.fi>

>I'm stuck with a mouse bug (freezes while typing text) and I was told
>updating latest XFree86 might help.
>
>Ok. I'm running 4.8 release. How should I update my ports-tree?
>I tried cvsup.
>
>Manual says there is only a current branch for the ports collection.
>(cvsup: tag=.) If I give tag=RELENG_4, it only deletes the port
>directories.

; ) I did the same thing.

>Is it possible to update the ports tree to stable branch at all, i.e.
>"current" 4 stable?

I'm pretty sure the thinking here is that, since it's third party software,
current vs. stable doesn't apply in the same way.

On a side note, I haven't had any real problems running the current ports
tree.

And, just to note, my ports lists ver. XFree86-4.3.0,1

>I have only a modem connection and I would like to avoid updating
>everything and would like to stay within stable-branch.

If you use cvsup with compression, it shouldn't be too big to just get the
ports tree. (I think it was just over 30 megs when I did it...)

>Thanks for any help!!
>

>--
>Jukka

I'd like to ask you more about this 'mouse bug,' but it's not really
appropriate on this list. (though it does really sound interesting.) If you
still can't get it to work, I'll watch for your post to -questions.

Peace,
Clayton