Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:53:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Angus Scott-Fleming <angussf@geoapps.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

Unfortunately, you *can't* go anywhere else if you want the windows OS and
software that works best with it.  If windows had at least given its
source code to developers, they could have improved it.  Much like MSDOS,
PCDOS, IBMDOS, COMPAQDOS, etc.  But no, they kept it all a big secret.  I
think if windows went open source, it would be optimized and enhanced so
quickly, and the public would benefit.

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

>On 7 Nov 99, at 17:40, Pedro Fernando Giffuni wrote:
>
>> Isn't it a good time to be a FreeBSD user? :-).
>>
>> I read the complete document(WOW, I wasn't aware of everything there).
>> Considering a Judge wrote this, I think M$ is in big trouble.
>
>I think the whole computer business is in Big Trouble - once the
>government steps in and starts telling us how to run our businesses,
>innovation will drop to a crawl as bus.people try to 2nd-guess the govt
>regulators.
>
>Not saying MS is/was right, but my solution has always been not to do
>business with people whose business ethics are lousy.  This is the only
>ethical way to deal with people like that.  Bringing the power of
>government ("the mob") down on them is a short-term fix, but it's a
>long-term problem as others will drag the govt. into this arena and
>IMHO we'll all suffer for it.
>
>Open-source doesn't suffer from this problem because you can go
>elsewhere for support when you don't like the ethics of the business
>that's using/selling it.

>Angus Scott-Fleming      GeoApplications, Tucson, Arizona
>angussf@geoapps.com   1-520-323-9170 / fax 1-208-248-3124

-jonathon