Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 1995 20:04:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        nelson@seahunt.imat.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Discouraged...

Michael Nelson writes:
> Machine: 	AMI 486/33
> Ram:		16MB
> SCSI:		2 ea CDC 320MB drives on an Adaptec AHA-1740
> 		1 ea Archive Viper 150 Tape
> 		1 ea Toshiba 3101 CDROM
> Ethernet:	WD (SMC) 8013
> Video:	ATI Graphics Ultra
>
> As a recent convert from Linux to FreeBSD, I must say I am becoming quite
> discouraged with FreeBSD.

[...]

> Example - HARDWARE SUPPORT

[...]

> Archive Viper 150:
>
> FreeBSD seems to feel it necessary to insult my choice of tape drive by
> telling me that my drive, which has worked FINE under DOS, OS/2,
> Unixware, and Linux, is "a known rogue", every time I boot the system.
> It may be a "known rogue" as far as FreeBSD is concerned (it's given me
> no end of problems under FreeBSD), but it was as reliable as a stone axe
> under those other operating systems.  Why can't FreeBSD deal with it?

FreeBSD can deal with it.  The scsi tape driver has a small
database (the "rouge gallery") of tape drives that have some
small quirk or another.  The driver is just informing you at boot
time that your tape drive is known to have a quirk and the driver
knows how to deal with it.  If you want the gory details, take a
look in /usr/src/sys/scsi.  I will agree that the message could
be disconcerting to someone who doesn't know what is going on
inside.

BTW, what sort of problems are you having?  I have a Viper 150
and it works like a charm.

[...]

> SUMMARY
> -------

[...]

> The problems I experienced with Linux were minor compared to the hassles
> I've been going through with FreeBSD so far.

I used to be an Amiga user.  As the C= ship was sinking, my
search for a life raft brought me to linux, then to 386BSD (and
now FreeBSD).  The problems I experience with 386BSD/FreeBSD were
minor compared to the hassles I went through with Linux.  :)

-john