Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 19:17:10 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCCARD in -current broken

Stefan Esser scribbled this message on Sep 23:
> > In any case, until the code in /sys/kern/kern_intr.c ifdef'd out by
> > 'RESOURCE_CHECK' is finished, or something else is done to make sure
>
> The code is finished, but I did not commit
> it to -current, since I was waiting for the
> new ISA device probe/attach code to become
> available.

oh...  if your waiting for the work that I'm working on.. commit the
changes now.. I don't think that I'll have anything workable in the
next month... as next monday is the first day of classes, and I've been
working this week... so I haven't made any progress yet...

> Several concepts have been discussed, with
> the "extent registration" of NetBSD being
> mentioned very often.
>
> My concept is quite different, in that I'd
> rather have a functional interface, which
> works on bus-dependent data structures that
> have to exist anyway, while the extent data
> does exist independently of device data.

have you actually looked at the extent stuff from NetBSD??  you still
have to write the wrappers around the extent to use the resources, it's
just that it provides a way to do mapping of sections of units...

> I have outlined this before ...
>
> > that 'ISA/Exclusive' interrupts are not allowed to be registered as
> > 'shared' resources, I think there are potential problems with the
>
> Well, ISA interrupts should be registered in
> a way that guarantees they are not shared.

I agree..  but this should be on a bus dependant side...  and with the
new isa_device stuff I have invisioned....  we will be able to do more
dynamic sharing of irqs...  suchs as marking irqs as only used when
device is active... so you can share irqs between devices... i.e. the
common com1/com3 problem...

ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD