Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 22:00:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
To:        crtb@capecod.net, regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup

Philippe writes:
>Chuck writes:
>>
>> > 	We're talking about the Travan SCSI HP/Colorado, right ?
>> > 	There was some talk about this drive some time ago, and IIRC,
>> > 	it has a problem with tape locking or something like it (i.e.:
>> > 	the Travan doesn't support it, and any operations to access the
>> > 	drive fail miserably).  Last time I checked the archives, no
>> > 	no patch is available.  Maybe check the Linux code (don't know
>> > 	if they support it).
>>
>> Alas, as I found out, non-SCSI tapes of all stripes remain unsupported
>> under FreeBSD-2.2.2 :-(  So I forked over 3 bills and bought a TR-4,
>> installed it as /dev/st0, and bingo, it goes like a champ, around
>> 500KB/second!
>
>	I thought the T3000 was scsi (travan).
>	What tape format does the TR-4 use ?

2 quesions; My TR-3 machine is an Exabyte Eagle, straight ISA, with its
own board.  Very nice if you run Micxxxxft OS, but unsupported in FreeBSD.
There may also be a SCSI version.  The TR-4 is apparently different.
The cartridges look identical, but the TR-3 says 1.6GB, while the TR-4
says 4GB.  Plastic, with an aluminum plate on one side.  The format is
evidently multiple passes end to end, with the head moving a tiny bit
between passes, just like the old tapes.

>> Alas, over an ethernet from another FreeBSD 2.2.2 system using dump,
>> it hiccuped continuously, getting just about 50KB/second.
>> Is there any fix for that, like perhaps a humongous buffer?  I figured,
>> since the average data rate was 50KB/sec., and the hiccups averaged
>> 4 seconds, I was buffering about 200KB.  Can I buffer say, 10MB?

I'd still like to know if this is possible.

	Chuck Bacon - crtb@capecod.net