Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 2020 14:14:29 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Cait Smith <kit@hypostasis.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMDGPU Picasso on Thinkpad X395

Mar 3, 2020 2:26:51 PM Cait Smith :

> Hi All
>
> I=E2=80=99ve been away from *BSD for a long while but I=E2=80=99m now thr=
owing FreeBSD at a Lenovo Thinkpad X395

Nice. Does suspend/resume work? I've heard that it does on Ryzen Mobile, bu=
t more confirmations would be good.

> I have had wifi and X running under a recent CURRENT and I am currently r=
ebuilding a 12.1-RELEASE (I probably should have partitioned the drive and =
installed both for testing)

ZFS boot environments. Forget anything you've ever heard about actual (GPT)=
 partitions :)

> With CURRENT and drm-devel it picks up the GPU just fine (attached dmesg.=
boot) and I=E2=80=99m happy to play there, although I am no kernel hacker. =
I also can see the amdgpu/picasso firmware being loaded with 12.1-RELEASE a=
nd the drivers / firmware compiled and installed from FreeBSDDesktop, and I=
=E2=80=99m just now rebuilding xorg from ports to see how that goes.

> My question is this. What is my best course for moderate to reasonable st=
ability and to best provide feedback (or testing)?

> I=E2=80=99m considering following CURRENT, following STABLE with a CURREN=
T kernel for the drm-devel port, or 12.1 RELEASE with manually added drm-v5=
.0. I=E2=80=99m beginning to think that CURRENT is probably cleanest, thoug=
h I may want to drop some of the debug and test code so that I can get some=
 work done :)

Yeah, I use current with a non-invariants kernel (e.g. generic-nodebug) eve=
rywhere.