Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on COPYING file ...

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> That's good.  If he does still want the COPYING file included, go
> ahead; it's an easy way to avoid some needless antagonism with the
> rest of the world.  Yours wouldn't be the only port doing it.

The question was with the binary package, not the port. There are probably
packages which install this form of gnu droppings, but they don't have to
(and probably shouldn't, per the handbook). The source (i.e. distfile)
needs to include it.

> FWIW, it is actually pretty difficult to find a copy of the COPYING
> file unless a user has /usr/src/ installed or has installed one of the
> ports that includes COPYING (of course, this covers almost everyone).

But we aren't required to distribute it except with the source - the GPL
is a license on distribution of source, with a condition that we have to
always make that source available. So /usr/src is fine..

Kris

----
XOR for AES -- join the campaign!