Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 19:33:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Temporary passwd files in /etc?

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> The second is probably an emacs backup file.  It looks like root has
> emacs as its editor, or someone su'd to root and root's .cshrc doesn't
> override EDITOR, and also has a really bogus umask setting.  This is a
> _really_good_ reason not to ever use emacs as root's editor.

    It turns out that our programmer was testing out a perl-based
passwd file massager that created a temporary file with a ~ at the
end (he is an emacs user).  He had inadvertently set his umask in the
perl script to (umask() & 700) rather than 077, and that's how it
ended up mode 666.

> The former; hmm.  .orig is a patch(1) thing; have you used diff/patch to
> pass changes to your password database around?

    I don't know about this one.  It was created before the perl
script was in use and thankfully did not contain a copy of the
encrypted passwords.

    Thanks to all who mailed back suggestions about the origins of the
passwd files.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.