Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:51:19 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Evan Martin <evan@chromium.org>
Cc:        chromium@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why chrome doesn't see plugins installed into /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins?

On 11/20/2012 12:20, Evan Martin wrote:
> I wrote the code in this area for Chrome, years ago.
>
> The various unixes are hilariously fragmented in this area: even
> different Linux distros demand different plugin directories[1].  My
> recollection is that nspluginwrapper has an enormous list of
> directories to scan, while Chrome's is more modest.
>
> As far as I know there's no standard place to look for browser
> plugins, so I tried to make Chrome match the code in Firefox.
> However, it could be that Firefox had different code for FreeBSD, and
> I likely ignored that code when writing the Chrome code.
>
> Here's a link to the list of paths searched in Chrome:
>    http://code.google.com/searchframe#OAMlx_jo-ck/src/webkit/plugins/npapi/plugin_list_posix.cc&l=144
> (note: the word "posix" in these files is a shorthand for "unix-like
> systems that aren't weird like macos", which I know isn't what posix
> means)

Interesting.
/usr/ports/www/firefox/Makefile.webplugins elaborates about where
plugins should be installed,
and locally defines WEBPLUGINS_LIBDIR as ${PREFIX}/lib/browser_plugins.
Some other ports include www/firefox/Makefile.webplugins.
But looks like chrome doesn't include it.

I think the best approach is to migrate the definition of plugin
directory into /usr/ports/Mk and make chrome and all other browsers
follow it too.

Yuri