Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2020 20:03:00 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, freebsd-testing@freebsd.org,  FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Testing with lua/atf-lua reviews

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 7:43 PM Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 7:23 PM Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> > On Oct 24, 2020, at 9:09 AM, Kyle Evans <kevans@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've just put up for review some work I've done to allow us to write
> > tests in lua, primarily intended to test the lua libs we're writing.
> > Please feel free to add yourself or drop in for some commentary:
> >
> > - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26928 - atf-lua(1)/atf-lua(3) itself
> > - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26929 - Build glue for atf-lua
> > - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26930 - atf.tests.mk infrastructure for
> > adding tests
> > - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26931 - Build glue for atf-lua tests
> > - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26932 - jail(3lua) tests, as a sample
> >
> > Note that D26932 has an additional hard dependency on the libjail
> > bindings and some additions I've made to them, notably: D26080,
> > D26756, and D26927.
> >

> > Hi Kyle,
> >
> > I realize that I haven=E2=80=99t been fully in the loop lately due to t=
ime and focusing on other things, but I=E2=80=99m not fully onboard with th=
is approach.

> > In particular, one of the things that jmmv was more onboard with was li=
miting atf, not extending it, and I agree with his desire to not do that.

> Sure-
>
> > Furthermore, why isn=E2=80=99t this using the luaunit framework instead=
 and the support being added to kyua to support luaunit:  http://lua-users.=
org/wiki/UnitTesting ? There are a ton of caveats with ATF that I would rat=
her not support longer than necessary and having to teach folks how to use =
a homegrown test infrastructure instead of leveraging an open source test i=
nfrastructure which is supported by an external group. Doing the latter mak=
es maintenance easy for us and improves the utility of the support better.

> I had actually considered this, but ruled it out due to a couple
> factors. The main one was that there's really no benefit with adopting
> yet another test framework for base -- I think we're much less likely
> to get people that are already familiar with luaunit contributing to
> our base tests than we are to get people in one of two other camps:
>
> 1. They already work with our vast array of other ATF !lua tests and
> would find themselves staring at a really familiar interface, or
> 2. They don't, they want to work on Lua stuff and Lua tests in base,
> then an ATF lua interface will be at least somewhat applicable to
> other areas of our test infrastructure
>
> I haven't dumped all that much time into this, though, so I have no
> problem taking another aerial glance at it.

Oh, oh dear. luaunit already supports TAP output:
https://luaunit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#output-formats

I kinda prefer the minimal verbosity text format that it defaults to,
but as far as effort to get off the ground goes... that's likely
impossible to beat.