Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:16:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Tom Knienieder <tom@knienieder.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ISO is fantastic!

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

# Some one *please* explain to me why they keep insisting on using
# something other than "-O"?  How much do we need to document that anything
# above that can be dangerous on FreeBSD.  I'm *seriously* tempted to
# remove -On (where "n" is a number) from the compiler.  Have people
# actually benchmarked their apps and seen a difference in speed, or is it
# just the "Oh, I need the fastest baddest code I can get" syndrome?

*grin*  I wouldn't mind if you 'mapped' -On to -O0 for everything
but the i386.  Taking it away could create nightmares for my
Alpha package builds, but defaulting to -O0 might cure a few
problems I'm currently having.  Just ask Andrew Gallatin about the
last problem he diagnosed for me. :)

-steve