Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:14:47 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A suggested kernel enhancement relating to kernel panics.

I have already told my sad story about the kernel panics on my remote
machine, so I will not belabor that anymore now.

However I would like to just note that the *one* key piece of data that
I cannot seem to lay my hands at the moment (and that would be most
helpful to me in sorting this out) is the "panic string", i.e. the
specific panic message that is being produced by the kernel when these
panics occur.  Just having thoe would probably help a lot.  Right now,
I don't even have the first clue as to what is causing the panics.

These panic strings are presumably being written to the system console
at panic time.

That's swell, except for the fact that the machine in question normally
has no monitor attached. :-( :-(  And even if a monitor WAS attached,
I believe that the system is set to perform an automatic reboot after a
panic, so these message get cleared from the screen right after the
panic/reboot anyway. :-(

So this all prompts a suggestion to the developers...

How about arranging for the panic string to be written *both* to the
system console and also to the currently configured "dumpdev", if any?

I have read about how a system panic dump gets preserved (by copying it
into regular filesystem space) after a crash and reboot, and it seems
to me that ideally, this same sort of preservation should be applied
as well to any kernel panic message.

After any kernel panic (and subsequent reboot), I should be able to go
and look at a certain file and see the last kernel panic message.

Is this too much to ask?

Couldn't this be accomodated via a mechanism that borrows a lot (both
code-wise and idea-wise) from the existing panic dump mechanism?

Should we perhaps have a "panicdev" kernel configuration setting, just
as we already have a kernel "dumpdev" configuration setting?  The former
could be used to specify where a copy of the last panic message should be
written to.  (That could perhaps even be a serial line or something.)