Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 03:36:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good are intermediate versions

> I'm working with a lightly-loaded machine that's used primarily for
> networking tasks. It does a little Web service and some PPP via "dumb"
> UARTs. It has an EISA motherboard and an Adaptec EISA SCSI Twin host
> adapter. (I'm not sure which chips it uses, but they might be the ones with
> which Justin was having some headaches.)
>
> The machine is still running 2.1.5, with patches to close security holes. I
> am considering upgrading it to either:
>
> a) 2.2.1-R;
> b) The 4/22/97 snapshot of the 2.2 "RELENG" branch
>    (Why isn't it called something like 2.2.5-SNAP?); or
> c) The 5/2/97 snapshot of 3.0-current.
>
> Which would work best, given the model of SCSI adapter and the stability of
> the various releases?

Probably the 2.2-970422-RELENG snapshot.  I'm fairly certain that
2.2.1 have problems with your Adaptec card, and the 3.0-970502-SNAP
lack at least the divert functionality, as well as being on a bleeding
edge branch.

BTW: Please help stamp out illogical date-formats - you were lucky
that you included the 2.2 releng date above, or I wouldn't have known
what dates you were referring to.

Eivind.