Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 02:52:30 +0000
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Some way to do a scsi low level format under CAM?

>From looking around, it seems that scsiformat would be the way to do this except
I'm running CAM and not SCSI. I have a drive that is in need of a low level
format. I attempted to install it so I could wait until I got a reply to format
it. It seems that my thoughts don't line up with the computer's code. :-)
FreeBSD 3.0R made it to the point of opening all the ttys in /etc/ttys, and
promptly page faulted. The "error" as it were was that da0 (this is a primarily
IDE based system, SCSI wasn't used actively - In Other Words, the slices on SCSI
weren't mounted) is damaged and the kernel driver (adv0) couldn't probe the
size. I'm pretty darn sure the problem is the drive, not CAM. CAM works great.
Now if I just knew how to do a scsiformat on CAM...
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>