Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:56:46 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Markus Holmberg" <saska@acc.umu.se>
Subject:   Re: Suffering from IDE hd spin downs (already turned off in BIOS)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:05:03 +0100 (CET), Markus Holmberg wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE for a while, without the previous two
>hd's never spinning down.
>
>But recently I installed a new IBM 8 Gb IDE hd, and now I'm suffering from
>*both* the new and the old ones spinning down after approx 15-30 minutes.
>It is very irritating as it locks up the system for a few seconds and also
>causes much wear and tear on the disks.
>
>I have double-checked my settings in the BIOS, and power management has
>always been turned off! (No APM etc) And the IDE HDD power management is
>specifically turned off.
>
>Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? I don't have apm compiled
>into my kernel. It's strange that the old hd's are also spinning down
>after the installation of the new hd..
>
>I'd be very thankful to hear from someone with information on this issue!
>
>Best Regards, Markus Holmberg.

You might want to remove the new drive to verify that the old drives
don't do it when the new drive is present.  This could simply be
accomplished by pulling the power cable from the new drive.  This is
just a sanity check to re-validate your situation.

You also might like to post this question to -hardware or -hackers.
There may be others there that don't watch -questions.

You could try sending the question to IBM via email, but I haven't had
much luck with them in the past in this regard.

HTH
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.