Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 08:54:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        "Sten_Daniel_Sørsdal" <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no>, stacey@vickiandstacey.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PPPoE and troubles with TCP

--- Sten_Daniel_Sørsdal <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no> wrote:

>   Have you remembered to setup anything to fix the MSS in TCP packets
> going through?

RASPPPOE in my Win98SE have such option enabled by default. It's described
there to solve problem with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). I don't see
any difference when it is disabled or enabled. RASPPPOE works just good
with MTU == 1492 in my Win98SE. However my FreeBSD in the same box have
troubles with TCP when I use PPPoE with MTU == 1492.
The configuration of TCP MSS in my FreeBSD is default, I didn't change it.

>   You have disabled encryption and compression right?

Yes, all types of compression and encryption are disabled, see my previous
post with /etc/ppp/ppp.conf there.

P.S. PPPoE use 8 bytes in each ethernet packet this is the reason why 1492
is the maximum MTU with PPPoE. I found that MTU == 1484 solve my problem,
read my previous posts. But, 1484 = 1492 - 8 ! It looks like double PPPoE
usage or lack of correspondence to the standard of PPPoE protocol
described in RFC 2516.
Maybe PPPoE implementation in FreeBSD have a bug?