Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:30:22 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Young <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP Setup

[Please *always* CC: the mailing-list]

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Young wrote:

> thanks for responding Jonathan
>
> Well it doesn't stay up long enough to read logs even if
> I knew how (which i don't) ..... I get time to do a netstat -nr,
> an ifconfig -a, and maybe the odd ping / traceroute but by
> that time its disconnected.

I'm assuming you're using 3.2-Release here.

Take /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample, and copy to
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf. Edit the file, looking at the following in
particular:

    1.  in the default section, change the device setting to
        match your current setting (it's /dev/cuaa1 in the file).
    2.  Assuming that your ISP doesn't have a login script, we move
        down to the "PAPorCHAPpmdemand" section, setting the
        "phone", "authname" and "authkey". Add your "set timeout 0"
        to this section.
    3.  Start up ppp with:
            # ppp PAPorCHAPpmdemand
        and then type in "dial".
    4.  Logs will be generated in /var/log/ppp.log. Have a look
        thru' those, and if you can't figure out what the problem
        is from them, ask the list again - attaching the logs.

Jonathan Chen