Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:24:01 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        jim flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I still can't get my net install to work from CDrom

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:52:01PM -0700, jim flournoy wrote:

> Because, on the installation notes, there is a warning
> that the necessary edit to the passwd file might allow
> anonymous login (add with vipw
> ftp:*:99:99::0:0::FTP:/cdrom:/sbin/nologin) I have
> assumed I could do this anonymously although I'm not
> sure that I have any other support for anonymous ftp =20

No, that's not enough to set up anonymous FTP.  This is presumably the
cause of your problem: sysinstall isn't even able to get access to
that machine.  See the ftpd manpage for information on setting up
anonymous FTP on that machine, or try and figure out why you can't
connect via FTP as yourself.  Have you tried FTPing to your account on
that machine using an FTP client, not sysinstall?

Kris

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx--