Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 2004 03:16:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Tadimeti=20Keshav?= <keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports installation (long)

all,
thanks for the suggestions.
1. CVSUP: I tried CVSup = it updated my ports
skeletons, but while compiling XMMS 1.2.10, it needed
a newer version of libogg, which could not be
installed because mplayer-esound and artsd were using
an older version of libogg. (mplayer had installed by
then).

I thought of doing a portupgrade to libogg, but this
would have broken artsd and mplayer-esound. Is this a
bug with the latest ports tree?

2. MAKE FETCH-RECURSIVE: Then I deleted the entire
ports tree and installed it fresh from CD-ROM; then cd
to /usr/ports/multimedia/xmms, then make
fetch-recursive. This went on for an hour. It tried to
fetch xc... and fetched libxml2. I killed this and did
a simple make, which downloaded the correct libxml and
 40 mins later, xmms was built.

3. Mplayer: mplayer built fine (except for a glitch
which would download all skins regardless of the
options chosen). But when I do: gmplayer &, I get a
black patch in the bottom right corner of the screen,
which should be the GUI.

3 hours later, I felt I may have been better off with
Mandrake Linux, with Xine,Mplayer,xmms and other
goodies installed within 1 hr. For now I am sticking
with FreeBSD, but I'll soon install dual boot Mandrake
Linux 9.1 for a usable computer.