Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 1995 12:54:35 +0900
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com
Cc:        Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP and demand start

wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT ) wrote:
:>>>>> "Nik" == Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk> writes:
:
:-Nik> and PPP will then dial out as and when necessary. If I do this
:-Nik> however, PPP starts up, announces that it is in auto mode and
:-Nik> becomes a daemon (preety much what I expected). But if I then
:-Nik> try and ping, telnet or netscape out I get told that the network
:-Nik> is unreachable. PPP does not attempt to dial out.
:
:I had the same problem... it would only attempt to dial out when I
:pinged the gateway (ppp provider).  However, after the initial
:session, and after the ppp daemon closed the connection due to
:timeout, pinging a host in my /etc/hosts file (and others) would
:re-open the connection.
:
:A different problem I have: The timeout would occur even with an
:active connection.  It seems that if I don't keep pinging something
:while I'm connected (Either through an 'slurp' or long ftp session) it
:will timeout.  Most strange. Ideas anyone?

Try "timeout 0"

:--
:                           Virtually,
:                           Edward Wolpert
:
:-------------------------------  "The best way out is always
:wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com |  through." - Robert Frost
:wolpert@utk.edu                |
:Truth is what you believe.     |  give you the world.' (tm)
:
:
:Fnord.

Atsushi.

--
Atsushi Murai                                         E-Mail: amurai@spec.co.jp
SPEC                                                  Voice : +81-3-3833-5341