Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 18:03:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/1522: dump/restore leading to corrupted files

>Number:         1522
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       dump | restore of filesystem corrupted files
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	FreeBSD-Stable (kern.osrevision = 199306)

	3 SCSI disks
	  sd0 SEAGATE ST31051N 0284
	  sd1 FUJITSU M1606S-512 6406
	  sd2 MICROP 2210-09MQ1001901 HQ30

        Using the ncr0 controller

	I've just added a new (internal) disk to my system. It became
	sd1, with the existing sd1 becoming sd2 (as shown above).

	Now, sd2 contained /usr/local, and sd1 was empty. I wanted to
	move /usr/local on to sd1, freeing up sd2 (an external drive)
	for other things.

	So I did:

	    dump 0f - /usr/local | (cd /mnt/sd1/e; restore xf -)

	as restore(8) suggests (in single user mode).

	After whirring and chugging away for some time (this was about
	700MB of data) the restore finished, with no error messages.

	However, after making appropriate changes to fstab(5) and rebooting
	the system, random binaries in /usr/local/bin would coredump
	immediately.

	Using cmp(1) and md5(1) I was able to confirm that the new copies
	of files on sd1 differed from the originals still stored on sd2.

	After blowing this attempt away, I tried again, this time using

	    cd /usr/local
	    find . -name \* -print | \
		cpio -p -a --block-size=128 -d -m -V /mnt/sd1/e

	which, after about 2 hours (should have mounted the damn thing
	async!) completed succesfully. An md5 comparison between the
	two disks shows the files are now correct.

>How-To-Repeat:

	As above.