Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:41:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RHEL to FreeBSD file server

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:

> With your setup of 11 mirrors you have a good mixture of read and write
> performance, but you've compromised on the safety. The reason that RAID 6
> (and thus raidz2) and up were invented was because drives that get used
> together tend to fail together. If you lose a drive in a mirror there is
> an elevated probability that the replacement drive will not be in place
> before the remaining leg of the mirror fails. If that happens then you've
> lost the pool. (Drive failures are _not_ independent.)

Do you have a reference to independent data which supports this claim
that drive failures are not independent?  The whole function of RAID
assumes that drive failures are independent.

If drives share a chassis, care should be taken to make sure that
redundant drives are not in physical proximity to each other and that
they are supported via a different controller, I/O path, and power
supply.  If the drives are in a different chassis then their failures
should be completely independent outside of a shared event like power
surge, fire, EMP, flood, or sun-spot activity.

The idea of raidz2 vdevs of four drives each sounds nice but will
suffer from decreased performance and increased time to replace a
failed disk.   There are always tradeoffs.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/