Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:33:34 -0500
From:      "Peter Brezny" <pbrezny@purplecat.net>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   icmp 5

Hi Everyone,

Where can i find an explanation of the different icmp types.

I ran across some standard firewall rulesets that say these types are
required:
#       Allow required ICMP
        $fwcmd add allow icmp from any to any icmptypes 3,4,11,12 keep-state

And now I've got a cisco router that's wanting a response from an icmp type
5.

What is type 5 for, and where can i get some more info on the different
types in an icmp packet.

Well, I just partly answered my question with a quick google search for icmp
type

http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters

However, I'm still needing some more info.  Why would my router be sending
redirect ICMP info to this host?

And are the required ICMP types in the firewall rule above really adequate?

Here's what's showing up in the system report:
> ipfw: 65435 Deny ICMP:5.0 router.ip.address host.ip.adress in via xl0

Where the host has only the following icmp types allowed.

#       Allow required ICMP
        $fwcmd add allow icmp from any to any icmptypes 3,4,11,12 keep-state

Thanks,

Peter Brezny
purplecat.net