Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 13:23:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org, mckusick@mckusick.com
Subject:   Re: BAD BUG IN UFS RENAME

> >Well, I've discovered some very interesting brain damage.
> >
> >In the case of an attemped cross-device rename, both NAMEI buffers are
> >freed twice.
>
>    Yes, I think I see this - the VOP_ABORTOP's on both cn buffers, followed by
> the explicit free's in rename()?

Yes.  It's not obvious because they check the HASBUF in the VOP_ABORTOP;
the actual rename stuff will work for UFS, assuming that there aren't
any cascade errors, but not for other file systems.  This because they
check that the SAVESTART bit isn't set to determine the free behaviour.

So it's not as blatant as it would seem the first time you glance at it;
it *will* work except it blows in a couple of error cases and one interaction
with the miscfs/union/union_subr.c code.

This could very well be the MSDOSFS rename bug.

The union stuff fails similarly.

SAVESTART is only set in two modules: vfs_syscalls and nfs_serv.c; the
first in the rename case, and the second on lookup, create, mknod, rename,
and symlink.

Actually, nulling out the VOP_ABORTOP free and explicitly freeing the
HASBUF buffer (the plan) will fix the problem areas as well as the layering.

I'm also planning on a freed flag for the DIAGNOSTIC case to ensure a
re-free will fail with a panic(), but this is not a high priority.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.