Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 2012 04:05:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HowTo easy use IPFW

=0A=0A=0AFrom: Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>=0ATo: =D0=9A=D0=BE=D0=
=BD=D1=8C=D0=BA=D0=BE=D0=B2 =D0=95=D0=B2=D0=B3=D0=B5=D0=BD=D0=B8=D0=B9 <kes=
-kes@yandex.ru> =0ACc: freebsd-net@freebsd.org; freebsd-questions@freebsd.o=
rg =0ASent: Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:15 AM=0ASubject: Re: HowTo easy use =
IPFW=0A=0AOn 2/4/12 10:53 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:=0A> On 2/2/12 1:33 AM,=
 =D0=9A=D0=BE=D0=BD=D1=8C=D0=BA=D0=BE=D0=B2 =D0=95=D0=B2=D0=B3=D0=B5=D0=BD=
=D0=B8=D0=B9 wrote:=0A>> this is the mine script which helps me keep my fir=
ewall very clean and safe.=0A>> =0A>> It is easy to understand even if you =
have a thousands ruBTWles, I think =3D)=0A>> =0A>> please comment.=0A>> =0A=
>> PS. If anybody may, please put into ports tree. thank you.=0A> =0A> it w=
ould probably be get more response if it was in a file format we had heard =
of.. like tar..=0A> =0A> WTF is a ".rar"=C2=A0 file?=0ABTW the=C2=A0 "stuff=
it" expander on a Mac seems to be able to handle it..=0A=0AI can see that t=
his would allow you to manage very complex rule sets while keeping errors u=
nder control.=0A=0AI find the syntax hard to follow however=0AI guess that =
comes from it being a relatively simple perl script doing the work.=0A=0Ait=
 would be nice to get rid of the line numbers entirely in the specification=
s=0Aand allow the program to completely specify them using symbolic definit=
ions instead.=0A=0A=0A=0A> =0A>> =0A>> ____________________________________=
ebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-net=0A>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to=
 "freebsd-net-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"=0A> =0A> ___________________________=
sts.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-net=0A> To unsubscribe, send any m=
ail to "freebsd-net-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"=0A> =0A> =0A=0A_______________=
________________________________=0Afreebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing li=
=0A*.rar files have been aroung a long time. They are created by a program =
call Winrar. I never understood the need for this because every since M$ st=
arted including support for zip files built right into Windows Explorer the=
re's no need for additional compression utility. There are some studies whi=
ch show Winrar is a little more efficient with it's compression but with to=
day's 2 TB hard drive prices, disk space is not such a premium anymore. Fre=
eBSD actually has a port for it /"usr/ports/archivers/rar". I have found th=
at this program is mostly used by hackers on the bittorent sites who steal =
and distribute copyrighted software and transmit trojans and viruses so it'=
s been my habbit to avoid rar files. If someone I trust sends it I will ope=
n it but I don't plan on opening up this guy's ipfw rule set for that very =
reason. The other reason is that any rule set with 1,000 lines in it has go=
t to be over kill. The simplest advice I could offer here is this:=0A=0AThe=
 only truly safe firewall ruleset consists of one rule and that is:=0A=0A=
=C2=A0deny all from any to any=0A=0AIf you must have Internet access, and w=
e all do then the next simplest rule set would be:=0A=0ABuild your kernel t=
o have IPFW deny all traffic by default=0AAllow only the ports you deem nec=
essary for your needs=0ADeny all other traffic=0A=0AAfter you've examined y=
our log files for a few weeks, turn off logging because it's usually just a=
 bunch or crap from IP addresses in China, Amsterdam, or maybe an odd one h=
ere and there coming from another source, trying to hack into your computer=
. I have found over many years that it doesn't pay anything to know about a=
ll the attempted attacks. It only pays to stop them cold and the above simp=
le rule set will do just that.