Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:09:36 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 02:35:20AM -0600, Bob Giesen wrote:
> [...]

I was not particularly addressing the remark at you personally.

> One soon-to-be ex-Win user mentioned the difficulty of installing
> FreeBSD, another person took issue with that, and I simply pointed out what
> should be obvious -- that there's good reason for a non-UNIX-guru who's used
> to well-planned InstallShield-type installations to feel that the FreeBSD
> installation is more difficult.

Did I say anything on that subject as such ?
Do you not think that comment has been made ad-nauseam on this list ?
Has one of the people making that comment said that he or she will
do something practical to ease the pain, or perceived pain ?

>    Your love of FreeBSD is duly noted -- but remember that love can be
> blind.  FreeBSD's not perfect in every way -- and (prepare for blasphemy...)
> it's not better than Winblows in every way.  (Most ways, by far, but not
> every.)  Can you not still be a defender of the OS while recognizing that
> another is, indeed, better in some ways?

I told you, I do not involve myself in such discussions in public.
I am not in love with FreeBSD, (I hate computers actually, but if
I have to use one then FreeBSD is my choice). Blasphemy, mmm.

I was trying to make the point they are not useful.
They happen so often on this list, and they go nowhere. They go nowhere
because there are too many axes being ground, too much point-scoring.
You see I don't really care whether Windows is Better than FreeBSD or
vice-versa; I think it is a non-issue actually. Like is not being
compared to like. Except for the fact they both run on a computer.. :)

>    Lighten thee up.  It's just a couple of opinions about a work in
> progress -- and flowery verse won't change mine.

I am very light thank you :)
I am not trying to change anyone's opinions.
The last windows versus freebsd thread on this list went to over 100
messages in a single thread. I ended up saving the delete key on my
keyboard from breaking down by rejecting all mail in that thread at
the point of entry to my mailhost.

Anyway, I am teetering again on the edge of breaking my New Year's
resolution, so this is my last contribution to this thread.

--
Regards
Cliff